From today's featured article
The rainbow pitta (Pitta iris) is a small passerine bird in the pitta family, Pittidae, endemic to northern Australia. The species is most closely related to the superb pitta of Manus Island. A colourful bird, it has a velvet black head with chestnut stripes above the eyes, olive green upper parts, black underparts, a bright red belly and an olive green tail. The rainbow pitta lives in the monsoon forests, as well as some drier eucalypt forests. As with other pittas, it is a secretive and shy bird. The diet consists mainly of insects, arthropods and small vertebrates. Pairs defend territories and breed during the rainy season, as this time of year provides the most food for nestlings. The female lays three to four eggs with blotches inside its large domed nest. Both parents defend the nest, incubate the eggs and feed the chicks. The species is common within its range, and is not threatened. (Full article...)
Did you know ...
Flag of Spokane, Washington
- ... that the flag of Spokane, Washington (pictured), was taken to the summit of Mount Everest in 1981?
- ... that Hildegard Heichele, a soprano of the Oper Frankfurt known for performing Mozart roles, appears as Adele on a DVD of Johann Strauss II's Die Fledermaus from the Royal Opera House?
- ... that The Patient Assassin, a biography of Udham Singh by Anita Anand, uses evidence from documents released under the UK's Freedom of Information Act?
- ... that after being treated for uterine cancer, Ai Kidosaki taught cooking to hospital employees?
- ... that Michael Waltrip's 2019 documentary film Blink of an Eye has been called "NASCAR's answer to Senna"?
- ... that Al Ahed FC is the first Lebanese association football club to win the AFC Cup?
- ... that in 2003, a painting by Nazlı Ecevit was hung in the workplace of the Turkish prime minister, an office that her son Bülent Ecevit had previously held?
- ... that the Battle of Drepana was ill-fated for the Romans because their sacred chickens refused to eat?
- ... that at the age of 17, Esther Arditi saved a pilot and a navigator from a burning plane?
In the news
The Dáil chamber
On this day